Let’s talk about the strawberry, that delicious berry that 17th Century writer Dr. William Butler described by saying, “Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did.” The delicate, heart-shaped strawberry has signified purity, passion, and healing for centuries, and has been used in stories, literature, and paintings throughout the ages.
In art and literature, medieval stone masons would carve strawberry designs on altars and around the tops of pillars in churches and cathedrals to symbolize perfection and righteousness. On the other hand, Queen Anne Boleyn, second wife to Henry VIII, had a strawberry-shaped birthmark on her neck that some claimed as proof of her dabbling in witchcraft.
In Native American culture, strawberries were in use before the colonists arrived, mixed with cornmeal and baked into strawberry bread. The colonists, after trying this bread, developed their own version of the recipe, giving birth to strawberry shortcake.
Let’s make some dessert with strawberries, now that the summer harvest is done and we have plenty of them. Tonight, we’ll make chocolate covered strawberries. The perfect date night [make it together] dessert.
- Fresh Strawberries
- 10 Oz. Bag Ghirardelli Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1 Tbsp Shortening
- Melt the chocolate. You can use a double boiler but I usually use a combination of two pots- one larger and one smaller. This is critical in order to melt the chocolate correctly. Fill the larger pot with water. Just enough so that when you place the smaller pot on top it doesn't touch the water. When melting chocolate you want to use indirect heat.
- Bring the water almost to a boil and turn off the heat. Place the smaller pot on top and add the Shortening. As the shortening begins to melt add your chocolate. Stir with a soft spatula until silky smooth.
- Push toothpicks into your strawberries for easy handling. Holding the toothpick, dip the strawberry into the chocolate. Remove and place onto a baking pan with parchment paper. When finished, place the pan into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and serve alone or with some Quick and Healthy Strawberry Ice Cream. Enjoy!