I’m re-imagining the traditional taco salad with new flavor and stuffing it in a mason jar. The key to any jar salad is to ensure that the liquid portions (dressing, etc) are at the bottom of the jar while the lighter (and less absorbent) items stay on top. This way, you will maintain the integrity of flavor and avoid mushy textures. Let’s get started!
- 1lb Ground Turkey
- 1 Diced Red Onion
- 2 Diced Garlic Cloves
- 2 Oz Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila
- 1/4 Cup McCormick Premium Taco Seasoning Mix
- 12 Oz Mexican Beer
- 16 Oz Newman's Own Mild Chunky Salsa
- 1 Tspn Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 Cup, Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Head, Chopped Iceberg Lettuce
- Freshly Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Catalina Salad Dressing
- Frito's Brand Original Corn Chips
- Sour Cream
- Kosher Salt
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Add a couple of tablespoons of Olive Oil to a sauce pan on medium to high heat. Add the chopped onion and fry until translucent. Then, add the garlic and 1 Oz. of Tequila. Stir well and continue to fry for about 1-2 more minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the onion mixture and add the ground Turkey. Season well with Salt. Cook until the pink is gone. Add the Taco Seasoning, Beer and remaining tequila and stir well. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Add the Salsa to the mixture and Sriracha; then stir well. Let simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drain. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mason jar, add the Catalina Salad dressing. Then a few spoon fulls of the Turkey/Salsa mixture followed by a dash of fresh chopped Cilantro. Now add a layer of Fritos; then cheese; then sour cream; and top of jar with Ice Berg Lettuce. Repeat this for multiple jars as this should create 4-5 jars.
- To serve simply turn the jar upside down and pour onto a plate. Mix and enjoy!