Pasta salad is a dish prepared with one or more types of pasta, usually chilled, and most often tossed in a vinegar, oil or mayonnaise-based dressing. We’ve chosen a mayonnaise-based dressing for our recipe. Pasta salad is often regarded as a spring or summertime meal but can be served year-round. For Friday nights, it is a great light meal that is sure to please. And, since it is served cold, it makes a perfect main course for your summer picnic basket.
The ingredients used vary widely by region, seasonal availability, and/or preference. The salad can be as simple as cold macaroni mixed with mayonnaise (a macaroni salad), or as elaborate as several types of pasta tossed together with a vinaigrette and a variety of fresh, preserved or cooked ingredients. This version is one of our favorites and we like to use local, organic, veggies that we pick up at the farmers’ market. Let’s do this.
- 1 Box Tri-Color Rotini Pasta
- 1 Diced Green Bell Pepper
- 15 Sliced Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Julienned Carrots
- 5 Diced Green Onions
- 1/2 Diced Sweet Onion
- 25 Cubes of Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 Julienned Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Cup Creamy Italian Dressing
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Boil a pot of water and cook the Pasta until done — about 11-12 minutes. Drain into a colander and let cool completely. Put into large mixing bowl. Prepare the Bell Pepper, Tomatoes, Carrots, Onions, Cheese and Apple by dicing them well and adding them to the mixing bowl. Add 1 Cup of Creamy Italian Dressing and Mayonnaise and mix well. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
- Enjoy immediately and/or cover and place in refrigerator for up to a week. No need to reheat.